Sports Massage is the management, manipulation and rehabilitation of soft tissues of the body including muscles, tendons and ligaments. It is applicable not just to sports people but to anybody wishing to guard against or recover from a soft tissue injury.
The techniques used by sports massage practitioners have been developed to ensure effective and efficient results are gained from each massage given. Sports massage may:
- Improve circulation and lymphatic flow
- Assist in the removal of metabolic waste
- Sedate or stimulate nerve endings
- Increase or decrease muscle tone
- Increase or decrease muscle length
- Remodel scar tissue when required
- Assist in mental preparation for sporting participation
You do not need to be a sports performer to benefit from a sports massage. The benefits above can also help relieve the many day to day problems, repetitive strain injury, sprains, tension, fatigue, that everyone experiences. As a sports massage practitioner, I work with a great range of clients in assisting with preventive treatment and injury recovery.
If you are a sports performer, of any level, a sports specific massage can be beneficial at various stages of participation. For example:
- The conditioning / training phase
- Pre competition
- Inter competition
- Post competition
- Post travel
- Injury prevention
- Injury recovery
Regardless of your experiences in sport or exercise, whether you exercise socially or compete to an international level – sports massage may have something to offer you.