Happy New Year everyone and I hope that it was a good one!
I’m dedicating this blog to anyone new to fitness or exercise – well done for making this momentous step to committing to a more healthier lifestyle and not to remain another government statistic.
If you have already joined a gym, then you have done the hardest step already by walking through the doors – having worked in the industry for over ten years and inducted hundreds of new members, trust me, I can totally empathise with you – you walk into the gym and immediately confronted by people swinging cannonballs with handles, dangling from straps attached to the ceiling, machines with flashing lights, the weights area is like a collection of metal and cables and the studio whooping and blaring like a nightclub!
Just remember that if you are unsure about anything then to ask for help (that’s what the instructors are there for or give me a ring) and always plan your workouts by having a periodised programme you can follow and set yourself goals to achieve on a weekly/monthly basis i.e. i will extend my run on the treadmill by 5 minutes every 2 weeks, etc.
So to finish on a more lighter note, I have compiled a list (this is by no means a definitive list – you can add your own here as well!) of all the usual gym suspects, that I have encountered over the years – so keep your eyes or nose out for…
- Mirror boy/girl – can’t workout if they haven’t got a mirror in front of them, so that they can admire their curves/muscles!
- Butch and Cassidy – check out the ‘weedier’ guy attempting to kill himself, lifting the same weights as his bigger gym buddy.
- Gym rat – Will always lend a helping hand, as long as you’re female, young, blond and good looking.
- Retro man – wears a weights belt and hoodie up, he can’t see where he’s going, so watch out when he’s on the treadmill.
- Quasimodo – yesterday was chest day, today is chest day and tomorrow will be chest day too!
- Cardio girl – I just run and run and run…
- Pheromone man – only has one set of gym clothes and wears it all the time…without washing it…eeuugghh!
- Mr Sweat-tastic – will leave a mass puddle of sweat around him, wherever he works out.
- The missing link – he’s the body builder in the corner who looks like the connection between ape and man.
- Geordie Shore – groups of teen boys dressed in plimsolls and low cut vests, trying to outdo each other on the heavy weights, with shocking technique…just don’t copy them!